FOOD SAFETY AND COMPLIANCE MANAGER
Copper River Seafoods, Inc.
- Responsible for planning and directing quality assurance policies, programs, and initiatives.
- Directs processes and product testing to ensure quality standards are met during production.
- Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Performs a variety of tasks. Leads and directs the work of others.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Reports directly to the Chief Compliance Officer with dotted to the site General Manager.
Thisjobdescriptiondoesnotstateorimplythatthedutieslisted are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. Limited overnight travel should be anticipated (10% ±2).
- Prepare, participate, assist and/or perform regulatory and compliance auditsMaintain MSC Chain of Custody Management
- FDA, DEC, MSC, BRC, USDC, Kosher, AWWU, OSHA etc.
- Third Party Food Safety/GMP’s (e.g. NSF, FSNS etc.)
- Traceability (e.g. Raw Product, Primary Packaging, Ingredients etc.)
- Create/Modify/Adapt process documents (Quality Control related)
- Participate in routine HACCP and Food Safety Team initiatives/ audits
- Develop and maintain HACCP plans
- Research and validate customer complaints and permanent corrective actions
- Under direction, address all customer complaints related to quality or other low-risk attribute(s)
- Maintain product and packaging specifications database
- Maintain Food Safety Quality Management System (FSQMS) database
- Manage Document Control e.g. additions, deletions, edits
- Oversee facility sanitation programs
- Oversee analytical testing programs
- Review and submit monthly USDC and AWWU Reports
- Manage supplier, co-packer, vendor requirements
- Conduct internal Food Safety/GMP audits with associated CAPA follow-up.
- Conduct quarterly BRC internal validation audits with associated CAPA follow-up.
- Conduct shipping label approvals (domestic and export).
- Provide mentoring, training, technical assistance, as required, at remote seasonal facilities.
- Provide mentoring, training, technical assistance to site QA Manager.
- Provide training and technical assistance to site Operations, QC, Sanitation and Sales Personnel
- Oversee BRC Monthly, Quarterly and Annual requirements
- Oversee initial seasonal facility purchasing assistance (QC and Sanitation Supplies)
- Conduct annual dock & fisherman training/orientation e.g. Boat GMP’s, Bleeding/Icing, Best Practices etc.
- Conduct internal EHS/OSHA audits, provide training/ technical assistance as required.
- In cooperation with the maintenance department, maintain/update the SDS binders and information center.
- Keep current with changes/updates related to the Code of Federal Regulations, the Alaska Administrative Code and Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Association of American Feed Control Officials, NIST 133 Handbook, NOAA Handbook 25, Compressed Air Standards, MSC / RFM Fishery and Chain of Custody Standards (e.g. 21CFR117, 21CFR113, 18AAC31, 18AAC34, 2017 FDA Food Code etc.)
Organizational Core Competencies:
- Internal Customer Focus: Builds customer confidence by ensuring expectations and commitments are met. Establishes and maintains effective and positive relationship with customers. Acts with customers in mind and values the importance of providing high-quality customer service.
- Integrity & Trust: Sets an example by consistently modeling high standards of honesty and integrity. Is widely trusted and is seen as a direct, truthful individual who presents information in an appropriate and helpful manner. Maintains a reputation for honesty, confidentiality, reliability and fairness. Is willing to admit to mistakes and doesn’t misrepresent himself/herself for personal gain.
- Getting Results (“Can Do” Spirit): Performs work with energy and drive; values planning, but will take quick, decisive action when an opportunity presents itself.
- Creativity & Innovation: Injects originality into daily work and generates many new and unique ideas. Thinks “outside the box” and is seen as original and value-added in brainstorming ideas. Creates competitive and breakthrough solutions.
- Collaboration: Collaborates positively to achieve team and company objectives. Works effectively within a diverse environment and builds strong relationships that helps and supports fellow employees in contributing to the overall success of the company.
- Working in-depth knowledge of food manufacturing.
- Prefer B.S. in Food Science, or related field with 3 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven problem solving, decision making, and project management skills are necessary for success.
Knowledge and Critical Skills/Expertise:
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups or employees of organization. Must be fluent in English. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. To perform this job successfully, an individual must have moderate to advanced knowledge of email, spreadsheet software, word processing software, and presentation software.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.
This position requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, read, write, see, hear, communicate orally, reason, analyze data and handle objects.
Indoors in normal office environment with exposure to excessive noise and temperature changes when on production floor.
Frequent unscheduled interruptions.
Mobility within all areas of the facility required. Frequent use of a computer
Personal protective equipment is required when on production floor. Personal protective equipment includes: plant boots, hairnet or beard net if needed, and white smock. Additional protective equipment may be required when obtaining samples from production.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to read, speak, and understand English, and use customer service skills. The employee is frequently required to use interpersonal and teamwork skills.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008.
May be exposed to human body fluids, or hazardous materials such as noise, or carcinogens.
This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
Please submit a complete cover letter and resume specific to the above requirements and 2 professional references. No phone calls will be accepted.
U.S. Mail or Hand Deliver to: Copper River Seafoods, 1118 E. 5th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501
Attn: Human Resources